The Powassan Library has a long and progressive history in the community. The Library opened in August of 1913, with only 150 volumes and operated from a private home. The Library received a dedicated building in the late 1930s, by the early 1960s the Library outgrew its space once again, and moved into a new building in 1964. The present location and building were established on Clark Street in 1982.
The Powassan Library became the Powassan and District Union Public Library in 1971 when the Library joined with the Town of Trout Creek and the Municipalities of Chisholm, Nipissing, and South Himsworth to combine the literary assets and the energy of all these communities. The Powassan and District Union Public Library currently serves over 1500 patrons, retains over 24,000 volumes, provides computer technology, internet and social media access, and delivers a variety of programs for all ages.